A flurry of public meetings about the future of Oregon's Willamette River basin are scheduled to take place over the next couple of weeks. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (the Corps) will be hosting multiple public meetings for two major projects that will impact dam operations, fish recovery, and the many communities and constituencies with interests in the river and its tributaries. These meetings provide a critical opportunity for the public to engage in advocacy for wild fish recovery. Please consider joining Native Fish Society and our partners at a meeting near you to advocate for the measures necessary to restore wild abundance to the Willamette.
Willamette Valley System Operations & Maintenance Plan
For the first time in more than thirty years, the Corps will be evaluating the operations and maintenance of the entire Willamette Valley System. The Willamette Valley System EIS (Environmental Impact Statement) will be integrated into the 2008 Willamette River Biological Opinion re-consultation process and form the basis of the next Biological Opinion.
Public comment for the initial scoping period is CURRENTLY OPEN and will conclude June 28th, 2019. This public comment period will help develop the “scope” of the project. This is a critical opportunity for the public to advocate for the operations necessary to support the recovery of wild Willamette fish. We urge you to participate in the public meetings and/or send your own comments to the Corps urging them to provide downstream fish passage, improve water quality, and restore more natural flows at dams, especially Cougar, Detroit, Foster, Green Peter, Dexter, and Lookout Point.
Public Open Houses for the WILLAMETTE VALLEY SYSTEM SCOPING are scheduled for:
- June 4th- Eugene Public Library, Bascom-Tykeson Room, 100 W 10thAvenue, Eugene, Or 97401; 4 to 630 p.m.
- June 5th- Salem South High School School Library, North Side Room, 1910 Church Street SE, Salem, OR 97302; 5 to 730 p.m.
- June 6th- Portland State University Conference Center, Willamette Room, 310 SW Lincoln Street, Portland, OR 97201; 4 to 630 p.m. (Parking is provided at the University Place hotel lot - 310 SW Lincoln St.)
- June 12th – Corvallis-Benton Public Library, Main Meeting Room, 645NW Monroe Avenue, Corvallis, OR 97330; 5 to 730 p.m.
- June 13th – Springfield City Hall, Council Chambers, 225 Fifth Street, Springfield, OR 97477; 4 to 630 p.m.